Irene Samy is an associate professor, Industrial and Service Engineering and Management department, at Nile University Cairo, Egypt and the American University in Cairo. Her Ph.D. thesis project was developing novel polymer composite membranes for industrial applications such as food packaging. She earned her Master’s in Material Science, Mechanical Engineering, and American University in Cairo. The Master’s Thesis project was developing natural fiber (rice straw) reinforced composites. Irene has several scientific publications related to the investigation of Natural Fiber Reinforced Polymers, reinforcement of Plastic Waste with Treated Natural Fibers, and charcaterization of natural polyemeric nanocomposites. Irene has experience in using several softwares including: Comsol, Design Expert software for optimization of the experiment parameters, Minitab for statistics, Image J analysis software for image analysis and Abaqus for finite element analysis. Irene participated in Fulbright Junior Faculty program for renewable energy, in 2016 and participated in the Entrepreneurship and Leadership Program, 1000Women, Goldman Sachs, 2016.
She got Newton Mosharfa institutional link award for two years in collaboration with Nottingham University, UK. for manufacturing plastic bags from natural materials where she got acknowledged by Mr. President El-Sisi for her work at the 3 rd national youth conference in Ismailia, April 2017. Irene is interested in studying the sustainability concept and she was a co-author of a book entitled "Sustainability and Innovation", AUC press, 2015. Irene is a volunteer on IEEE Smart Village committee and an active member in the organizing committee for IEEE Conferences such as IEEE Power Africa 2017, where Irene plans to extend the IEEE smart village committee in Egypt to supply solar electricity in poor villages. She is also one of the members in the Events Committee of the IEEE Humanitarian Activities, 2018. She is also the technical chair for the first IEEE SIGHT Egypt ideation camp 2018.
Irene is currently doing research on several topics related to her Industrial and sustainable development practice such as:
- Fabricating new bioplastic composite materials.
- Fabricating green corrosion inhibitors.
- Ergonomics assessment in industrial companies.
- Green Energy in Construction, LEED and green building certification.
- Establishing an integrated sustainable waste management model for agricultural waste.
- Providing industrial solutions in work in process and inventory models in industrial companies.
- Assessment of pharmaceutical residues and their removal from water masses.
1) Irene Samy received the Encourgamnet state award for Financial from ASRT
2) Irene Samy received the Research Excellence award from Nile University
3) Irene Samy received the Excellent Speaker Award from International Conference on Multidisciplinary Sciences and Advanced Technologies (ICMSAT2020), Malaysia.
4) Irene Samy received the 3rd Place Shark Zone Startup Competition from Vested Summit, Egypt.
5) Irene Samy received the Most Active Member in SESC center, Nile University from Smart Engineering Systems Research center, Nile University, Egypt.
6) Irene Samy received the Best Paper Award for Financial from the International Association for Management of Technology (IAMOT2019)
7) Irene Samy received the Zero Plastic-waste Challenge from Next society
8) Irene Samy received the Leadership in Innovation Award (2nd place) for Financial from the Royal Academy of Engineering
9) Irene Samy received the Appreciation Certificate for Efforts in Research from Mr. President Abdelfattah ElSisi, Egypt.
10) Irene Samy received the African Women Intra-trade Capacity Building Program from the School of Business Executive Education, AUC
11) Irene Samy received the Fulbright Junior Faculty Scholarship for Financial from Fulbright
12) Irene Samy received the Entrepreneurship and Leadership Program from Goldman Sachs Women's Program
13) Irene Samy received the “Teaching Women, a Business Education” from the Rotary Club 10th of Ramadan, Egypt.
14) Irene Samy received the Appreciation Award, Employee week, from German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development.
Optimization of lactic acid production from agro-industrial wastes produced by Kosakonia cowanii
Lactic acid is used for the preparation of poly-lactic acid. The objective of this research was to produce lactic acid from agro-industrial wastes as cheap, renewable substrates, and also reduce the pollution burden on the environment. Sixteen bacterial isolates were isolated from agro-industrial wastes. The chemical hydrolysis of agro-industrial wastes was achieved with hydrochloric acid
Enhancing barrier properties of chitosan extracted from shrimp shells as a sustainable material for active packaging using natural wastes
Due to the environmental concerns, much responsiveness has been paid to natural polymers and recycle wastes. Disposal of wastes like marine wastes and domestic wastes end up in landfills and open areas which cause environmental crisis. The development of biodegradable active packaging materials is one of the alternatives to reduce the using of synthetic petroleum-based plastics. Biodegradable
Review organic solar cells parameters extraction and characterization techniques
Organic photovoltaic research is continuing in order to improve the efficiency and stability of the products. Organic devices have recently demonstrated excellent efficiency, bringing them closer to the market. Understanding the relationship between the microscopic parameters of the device and the conditions under which it is prepared and operated is essential for improving performance at the
Experimental investigation of innovative active packaging biofilms using electrical impedance spectroscopy
Bio-composite Thermal Insulation Materials Based on Banana Leaves Fibers and Polystyrene: Physical and Thermal Performance
Thermal insulators have a crucial role in reducing the operational building energy. They are commonly fabricated from petrochemical materials that mostly cause negative environmental impacts. This study aims to develop banana leaves-polystyrene composites (BL-PS) as a sustainable and low-cost thermal insulator. The BL powder was mixed with PS in different weight ratios (90:10, 80:20, 70:30, and 60
Effect of thickness and temperature on flexible organic P3HT:PCBM solar cell performance
A blend of poly 3-hexylthiophene (P3HT) and [6, 6]-phenyl-C61-butyric acid methyl ester (PCBM) is used as a photoactive layer for simulating a bulk heterojunction organic solar using general-purpose photovoltaic device model (GPVDM) software. The optical and electrical performance of the cell had been analyzed by changing the thickness of each layer and substrate material over a range of operating
Fabrication of bio-plastic composite pellets from agricultural waste and food waste
This study aims to produce starch bioplastic pellets from food waste such as potato peels. Measuring the ease of flow of the melt is crucial for producing these pellets. The melt flow index (MFI) is measured in this study to evaluate the consistency of the produced pellets and determine the extent of degradation of the plastic because of molding. This study investigates the effect of adding
Production of fuel from plastic waste: A feasible business
This paper aims to conduct a feasibility study of producing fuel from plastic waste. It is a suggested approach to deal with the huge production of synthetic plastic around the world, so as to avoid its accumulation in landfills and the depletion of resources. Several types of research have addressed the conversion of plastic waste into energy, and in this study the authors focused on using
A Heterogeneous Vehicle Routing Problem with Soft Time Windows for 3PL Company's Deliveries: A Case Study
Route optimization is tactically important for companies that must fulfill the demands of different customers with fleet of vehicles, considering multiple factors like: The cost of the resources (vehicles) involved and the operating costs of the entire process. As a case study, a third-party logistics service provider, ABC Company, is introduced to implement optimization on. Furthermore, ABC